- 1\2 cup almond meal
- 1 1\2 cup of the water left after cooking brown lentils
- 1 tsp of acid - the original recipe called for lemon juice but I've used the liquid from pickled vegetables.
- 1 piece of dried wakame, about the length of a credit card, cut into confetti sized chunks
- 2 tbsp of potato flour
- 2 tsp of gelatin - this is what makes it non-vegan. You can use agar agar instead, but I didn't have any on hand at the time.
- Place all ingredients in a blender, and leave for 10 minutes with the blender off. This is to give time for the wakame's flavour to infuse into the liquid.
- Blend until compined.
- Pour out into microwave safe container - I used a chinese food container so it could be the cooking vessel and mold.
- microwave for 2 minutes
- Pour into mold if not already in one and mix.
- Cover and allow to cool on a counter.
- Once cool enough, move to fridge and leave until set. Should only take a few hours but I usually leave my tests overnight.
You now should have a light grey mouse with a slight seaweed taste. I top it with dried fruit and use it for my lunch. The almond meal can make it a little gritty but I haven't yet attempted to see how it goes without it. I suspected it was acting as a nucleation site/neutral element to ensure a uniform texture.