Temperature effect on Psyllium Husk gel formation

I recently attempted to see what happens if you put psyllium husk in hot drinks. This wasn't a planned experiment, merely something I did on a whim.

Method

Into a mug at 1 sachet of coffee mix and 4 teaspoons of psyllium husk

I originally planned on using 2 but for some reason felt that wasn't enough.

The mug was then left to sit while it got to drinking temperature

Probably longer than was necessary since I was doing washing at the time

Result and analysis

Gel formation was significant by the time I got around to drinking. The end product was a fairly dense slime that was quite difficult to break apart even with the addition of more water.

I've likely used too much of the gel and hence the thick formation. The fact that it didn't break apart in more water warrants further testing

Future experiments

Effect of mixing during gel formation

Lower concentrations of husk

Attempt to bake sheets of gel.

Dry gel after forming

Comments