Wakame (seaweed) mousse

While not vegan myself, I am interested in some of the foods that develop from trying to recreate non-vegan tastes and textures. I came across a vegan cheese recipe from aquafaba (literally water from beans) and decided to play around. Here's one of the results of my experimentation; Wakame mousse.

Ingredients;

  • 1\2 cup almond meal
  • 1 1\2 cup of the water left after cooking brown lentils
  • 1 tsp of acid - the original recipe called for lemon juice but I've used the liquid from pickled vegetables.
  • 1 piece of dried wakame, about the length of a credit card, cut into confetti sized chunks
  • 2 tbsp of potato flour
  • 2 tsp of gelatin - this is what makes it non-vegan. You can use agar agar instead, but I didn't have any on hand at the time.
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender, and leave for 10 minutes with the blender off. This is to give time for the wakame's flavour to infuse into the liquid.
  2. Blend until compined.
  3. Pour out into microwave safe container - I used a chinese food container so it could be the cooking vessel and mold.
  4. microwave for 2 minutes
  5. Pour into mold if not already in one and mix.
  6. Cover and allow to cool on a counter.
  7. Once cool enough, move to fridge and leave until set. Should only take a few hours but I usually leave my tests overnight.
You now should have a light grey mouse with a slight seaweed taste. I top it with dried fruit and use it for my lunch. The almond meal can make it a little gritty but I haven't yet attempted to see how it goes without it. I suspected it was acting as a nucleation site/neutral element to ensure a uniform texture.

Comments

Post a Comment